Best All Around Hunting Knife to Have in The Field With You
Are you an avid hunter? If you are then you have probably been in a situation where a small branch needed to be trimmed off to make way for a clear shot or you needed help getting an arrow out of a deer you struck down. These are situations where having the best all around hunting knife comes in very handy. A well-designed hunting knife is definitely a versatile tool that can help you accomplish many different tasks while out in the field.
The Gerber StrongArm Fixed Blade Knife is one of the best on the market today. The comfortable grip and easy to use blade, makes it perfect for hunters. Moreover, the price is perfect for beginners as well
Take a loot at Our Picks
|Gerber StrongArm Fixed Blade Knife, Fine Edge,...||1,014 Reviews||$48.36||Check on Amazon|
|Ka-Bar BKR7-BRK Combat Utility||676 Reviews||$84.94||Check on Amazon|
|ESEE ESLSP-BRK Laser Strike||111 Reviews||$110.48||Check on Amazon|
|Helle GT Knife||58 Reviews||$154.00||Check on Amazon|
|CRKT K270GKP Homefront Tactical Knife: Folding,...||206 Reviews||$79.98 $79.95||Check on Amazon|
|SOG Specialty Knives VL-03 Vulcan Tanto Folding...||183 Reviews||$113.98 $105.85||Check on Amazon|
|Gerber 22-01400 LMF II Survival Knife, Coyote...||1,217 Reviews||$64.00 $62.35||Check on Amazon|
|Fallkniven S1 Fine Edge Fixed Blade Knife with...||30 Reviews||$159.95||Check on Amazon|
Important Features to Consider When Shopping For a Hunting Knife
Here is what we deem are the most important characteristics of hunting knives to look at when shopping for a new one to take in the field with you:
# Sharp/Sturdy Blade
Any time you are out in the field and have a task to do that requires a knife you certainly want it to have a sharp blade. You also want that blade to be made out of a tough material like high carbon or stainless steel that is easy to sharpen and holds that edge well.
# Fixed Blade Construction
Most hunters prefer that their knives have fixed blade construction as opposed to being a folded model. This makes the knife stronger so it won’t break as easy when doing heavy duty tasks with it. Fixed blade construction also gives the knife the ability to support a longer blade.
# Sturdy Handle
It’s even better if that fixed blade hunting knife is a full tang version where the blade is even sturdier because it goes the entire length of the knife. You can tell a full tang knife model because the handle is not molded around the blade end. The blade is usually pinned or riveted to both sides of the handle portion of the blade. You can clearly see the pins/rivets in the handle in this photo:
# Hand Guard
Conditions can be extremely slippery once you start cutting and this can be a problem for some users. These knives are generally sharp and they can cause some real damage to your hands.
The guard does not need to be something impressive, but a small knife guard will keep you from giving yourself a nasty wound and avoiding infection when hunting.
# Serrated Edges
Serrated edges are not the first thing that hunters will look at, but it does make some of those tough tasks a little easier. Tasks that include splitting the pelvis or the ribcage can be quite daunting without serrated edges, but now you can do this with the utmost of ease. It is worth having serrated edges or in fact adding another knife to your collection for these purposes.
# Quality Sheath
If you are a hunter you will most likely be taking your knife into some pretty rugged territory as you hunt. You will also be exposing it to some rough environmental conditions on occasion. That is why you need a high-quality sheath to come with any hunting knife you purchase.
The sheath should do a nice job of protecting the blade and be easy to attach to a belt or backpack. It should also leave no part of the blade exposed and keep the knife from falling out of it as you move.
Reviews of Best All Around Hunting Knife Models
Here are some reviews of what we deem are the top quality hunting knives you will find in the camping and outdoor marketplace:
1. ESEE Knives LSP Laser Strike
Fixed Blade Knife with Canvas Micarta Handles
– Strong Kydex sheath.
– High carbon steel blade
– Easy to grip canvas Micarta handle.
– World renowned knife manufacture.
Full tang construction.
Esee is a world renowned name when it comes to quality knife manufacturing and models like this one are the reason why. It is the perfect knife to take with you when you are hunting, camping or enjoying any other outdoor activity.
It’s a blade that has no problem holding its edge once it has been sharpened. That is due to its high-quality carbon steel blade. This ten-inch blade is both durable and stays sharp even when used for tough cutting tasks.
This knife is very easy to hold thanks to its superior handle construction. It features a Micarta canvas composite handle that gives you the perfect combination of sturdiness and grip. The grip gets dirty rather quickly under outdoor conditions but just a damp cloth will clean it fairly easily.
Even the sheath on this hunting knife is made to high-quality standards. It is made out of top of the line Kydex material. That is a material that even the sharpest knife blade won’t cut through and it does a great job protecting the knife from even the wettest elements.
- Strong Kydex sheath.
- High carbon steel blade.
- Easy to grip Micarta handle.
- World renowned knife manufacturer.
- Full tang construction.
- Can rust easily if the blade is not oiled often.
- The handle gets dirty quickly.
– An added pouch is ideal for carrying you smaller blades.
If you like carrying smaller items like your folding knife with you, the ESEE Accessory Pouch is perfect and it matches your knife handle as well. It is small and you will fit in the basics with ease.
2. Ka-Bar BKR7-BRK Combat Utility Knife
Combat Utility Knife
– Versatile 12 inch fixed blade knife·
– Cro-Van carbon steel blade·
– Lightweight glass-fiber-filled nylon handle design·
– Ballistic nylon sheath·
– Fixed blade style Knife.
Here is a high-quality tactical survival knife that can easily cross over and be used as a perfect hunting knife. Its sturdy 12-inch blade makes this knife very versatile so it can handle a variety of different cutting and prying tasks when you are in the great outdoors hunting.
The blade portion of this knife is a very nice 7 inches long which makes it very useful. Ka-Bar has chosen to make the blade for this model knife out of very high-quality Cro-Van carbon steel. It resists rusting better than other types of carbon steel but you still need to oil the blade on occasion.
The handle on this knife is very durable and functional too even though some may not like its smooth grip. It is made using a glass-fiber-filled nylon design that is fairly impervious to anything you can throw at it while out hunting.
This knife comes with a medium quality sheath that is made out of ballistic nylon. It more than adequately does the job for a knife that is sold at this affordable price point. Those users that don’t like the sheath can easily find other budget priced sheaths available in the hunting and camping marketplace.
- With a length of 12-inches, versatility is a given for top outdoorsmen
- Cro-Van carbon steel blade.
- Lightweight glass-fiber-filled nylon handle design.
- Most users love the ballistic sheath for the functionality it offers in all conditions.
- The smooth handle grip might allow it to slip occasionally
- Some users complain about the sheath quality.
— Need to Fillet a quick meal?
The Kershaw Clearwater 7’’ Fillet Knife is small and easy to carry along. It is constructed from Japanese steel and features an extremely durable sheath. It is lightweight and should not cause you too much troubles.
3. Helle GT Knife
Another World Renowned Knife Manufacturer
– Compact and sturdy 4.5 inch blade·
– Curly Birch, leather and aluminum trimmed handle design·
– Lightweight 5.5 ounces·
– Custom designed full leather sheath·
– Triple laminated stainless steel blade.
Here is another world renowned knife manufacturer that does not believe in long fancy names and just goes about the business of making high-quality hunting knives such as this one. Helle has really come up with a well-designed and very functional hunting knife model here.
The quality of this knife starts with its sturdy and compact blade design. It’s only 4 inches long but it’s made out of very strong triple laminated stainless steel. That means this is one of the few knife blades that you do not have to oil on a regular basis.
It also features a very unique handle design. The handle is mainly made of curly birch wood and also has leather inlays and an aluminum handle guard. That combination makes for one tough knife handle that is easy to grip.
This whole knife package is topped off by the top of the line sheath that comes with it. It is a custom fit full leather sheath. Not only does it protect the knife well when you are out hunting but it looks great when you are wearing it too.
- Compact and sturdy 4.54.5-inchade.
- Curly Birch, leather and aluminum trimmed is used for extra durability in the handle.
- With a weight of only 5.5-ounces, the blade is easy to carry along.
- The leather sheath is extra durable and many users love the durability.
- The blade is made using triple laminated stainless steel.
- Most of the weight is in the exposed blade end.
- Some users prefer a Kydex sheath over leather.
— Reading is the best for of knowledge.
Before you head out into the wild, some knowledge could safe your life. Bushcraft 101 is one of the best books to help you understand the wild and how to survive in most situations.
4. Gerber StrongArm Fixed Blade Knife
Fixed Blade Knife
– Ceramic coated anti-rust blade·
– Superior grip rubberized handle design·
– Full tang blade·
– Modular sheath·
– 420 high carbon stainless steel blade.
Gerber is a trusted name when it comes to knife manufacturing and this fine hunting knife model is a great example of why that is true. This is really a very well-designed hunting knife product.
You don’t have to worry about the blade rusting like you do on most high carbon steel knives. That is because this one is nicely ceramic coated. That means you never have to oil this blade and all you have to do is wipe it clean after using it. The blade on this knife is made using full tang construction which makes this knife very sturdy when using it too.
This knife has an interesting handle design that takes a little getting used to but it gives the user great grip when using it. That is because it is glass-filled nylon with an easy to grip rubber overmold.
The modular sheath is not premium quality but it does protect the knife well and give you many carrying options. You can wear it vertically on your belt, horizontally on your belt or mount it on your vest.
- The blade has been ceramic coated to avoid any rust.
- A superior grip rubberized handle is included to avoid any slip ups.
- Full tang blade.
- A modular sheath is included for more carry versatility.
- 420 high carbon stainless steel makes the blade stronger and more durable.
- The handle has a somewhat odd shape.
- Users often complain about the quality of the sheath.
— Don’t forget the handy camping knife
Having something smaller to use at your campsite is imperative. It enables you to everything that needs to be done and the Gerber Paraframe I Knife is foldable and easy to store in your pocket.
- Full tang, ceramic-coated 420HC drop point blade.
- Rubberized diamond-texture handle for unshakeable...
- Striking pommel at base of handle for rescue +...
5. CRKT K270GKP Homefront Tactical Knife
Folding Blade Knife
– Field strip innovation for easy cleaning.
– Foldable for easy storage.
– 6061 durable aluminum handle.
– AUS 8 steel point drop blade.
– Lightweight and compact.
CRTK is known for some of the top tactical tools on the market today, but did you know they can also be used for hunting. If you are tired of carrying heavy knives, this lightweight and compact folding option is just the tool for you.
The blade is only 3.5-inches and it is only 8.3-inches when it is opened. The handle is constructed from premium aircraft grade aluminum and Field Strip Technology enables you to take it apart in the field for cleaning purposes.
The inclusion of a massive limited lifetime warranty ensures peace of mind and while this might not look like your standard hunting knife, it does the job perfectly. Since no sheath is required, this knife can be carried along all day and this gives it the versatility needed to ensure you get the best possible value for your money.
- The blade is a little more compact and foldable for easy carry.
- The added durability is a real money saver.
- It can be used for everyday carry.
- Filed Strip technology enables you to clean it on the go.
- The limited lifetime warranty will ensure you have peace of mind.
- Some users complain about the short blade for larger game.
- The technology is also quite complex and takes time to figure out.
— Don’t forget the sharpener.
The blade will need sharpening after sometime and the Smith’s PP1 Pocket Pal Multifunction Sharpener is one of the most affordable and portable sharpeners you could choose. It will sharpen all your knives.
- LEADING TECHNOLOGY: EDC knife has Field Strip...
- MULTIPURPOSE: Locking folder with deep clip can be...
- PREMIUM MATERIALS: Lug-style flipper has an AUS 8...
6. SOG VL-03 Vulcan Tanto Folding Knife
Versatile Knife Option
– San Mai VG10 steel construction.
– Satin finish.
– Glass-reinforced nylon handle.
– Locks with Arch-lock technology.
– Limited lifetime warranty.
SOG is another well-established name in the realm of tactical knives and the SOG VL-03 Vulcan Tanto Folding Knife stands out as one of their top options. Made from quality steel and with a satin finish, the knife looks just as great as it acts when used in the field.
The ambidextrous thumb slots are what make the knife impressive when it comes to grip. When you need something out in the hot sun, this grip will ensure that your hands never slip. The grip is also made with little riffs, making it impossible to lose control when you need to use it.
While foldable knifes are rarely the main option for hunting, they still stand to help you do your job. This knife is extremely lightweight and compact and with a blade length of only 3.5-inches, small game should not be an issue.
It is also worth noting that no sheath is required and this will save you a couple of bucks as well. The limited lifetime warranty should give you peace of mind and if you are someone for everyday carry, this will be a decent option.
- Due to the lighter weight, the blade is easy to carry around and compact to store.
- Reasonably priced.
- The grip has been ergonomically designed to fit your hands and avoid slip-ups.
- With San Mai steel in the blade construction, it offers great durability for all users.
- Users complain about the blade being a little short for larger game.
–Don’t forget the serrated edges.
The Serrated edges are perfect for splitting tougher parts of your game and since you are choosing something small, the SOG Aegis Assisted Folding Knife can help you with this. It is also around 3.5-inches and foldable.
- Arc-lock locking mechanism provides strength,...
- Ambidextrous slotted double-thumb studs
- San mai steel blade w/tanto shape
7. Gerber 22-01400 LMF II Survival Knife
Compact Fixed Blade Knife
– Drop Point blade style.
– 420HC stainless steel.
– Glass-filled nylon overmold.
– Ballistic nylon sheath.
– Limited lifetime warranty.
Once again, we find ourselves with one of the top brands and that is what Gerber is. Gerber is one of the best brands when it comes to top quality knives and the Gerber 22-01400 LMF II is no different. The blade is a drop point style and constructed from durable 420HC stainless steel.
The glass-filled nylon handle includes small riffs, ensuring that the blade does not slip out of your hands and the hand guard keeps your hands out of harms way. The blade length is around 10.59-inches long enough to help you tackle larger deer and the lightweight should keep you from having too much excess weight.
Ballistic nylon is used for the sheath, ensuring that your blade is protected. It is also covered with a fire retardant coating, adding to the durability. While the blade is really affordable, it still comes with a limited lifetime warranty to give you some added peace of mind.
- The blade is really light and easy to carry along.
- 420HC stainless steel is used for the construction of the blade.
- The glass filled nylon handle offer a slip resistant texture.
- Due to the cheaper price, it is an option many hunters love to take.
- Limited lifetime warranty.
- Users have complained about the sheath being a little too bulky for everyday carry.
— Serrated edge option.
As we have mentioned, the serrated edge can be a real lifesaver. Especially when you need to gut the animal or cut through tough parts. The Gerber Prodigy Tanto Survival Knife makes this a little easier and it is made from the same quality materials.
- Blade style: drop point
- Blade material: 420HC stainless
- Handle material: Glass-filled nylon with top...
8. Fallkniven S1 Fine Edge Fixed Blade Knife
Elite Fixed Blade Knife
– Thermorun handle design.
– Lightweight Zytel Sheath.
– Convex blade design.
– Thick 0.2-inch blade.
Last but certainly not least, we have the Fallkniven S1 hunting knife and this knife is not only good for hunting, but ideal for all your outdoor endeavors. The knife is just over 11-inches in length and the added blade thickness adds a lot to the overall durability that is on display.
The blade design is convex and this makes it perfect for cutting and chopping, while the Thermorun handle does not conduct any coldness. This means that the blade will be easy to handle in both cold and hot conditions. The added riffs ensure that it does not slip out of your hands.
The Zytel sheath is not something that everyone likes, but it is definitely lighter than a Kydex sheath. If they could have improved one thing, it will be the sheath that should have been nylon. Overall, this blade does the job outdoors and should be perfect for the avid outdoorsman.
- The entire knife design is really lighweitght.
- The Thermorun technology in the handle is a great addition for colder temperatures.
- Gutting and skinning is made easier with the added thickness of the blade.
- The convex blade design is unique and easy to use for most users.
- The price can be a little costly.
- Some users complain about the overall durability of the sheath.
— Add the sharpener to keep the blade going.
Having a decent sharpener is always really important and the Dianova FNDC4 Combination Whetstone Knife Sharpener is perfect for all your knifes. Yes, it is a little pricey, but you will use it forever.
- Handle Material: Thermorun
- Blade material: lam. Vg10
- Blade length: 130mm
Too Close To Call On Which Hunting Knife Is Best
Normally when we do a series of reviews like we did on these top hunting knife models, we like to pick one that we deem is the best product. After reviewing these high-quality knives, we found it very difficult to pick a clear winner amongst them. They will all satisfy anyone that needs a high-quality hunting knife.
Here is what we liked about them:
- They all featured top of the line blade construction.
- Each model had a fixed blade design.
- These were all versatile and sturdy hunting knives.
- The handle design of each of them was well thought out and unique.
To be fair each model had a slight drawback to it that had to be overcome too. The bottom line here is if you are truly in the market for a high-quality hunting knife, then you really should take a closer look at these well-designed models before making a purchase.